There’s an old story about a woman named Rose. At the young, innocent age of 87, she decided to return to college and earn her degree.
While she was there, she made many new friends, worked hard, and was successful in her studies. One day, she was asked to give a speech at the college’s football banquet. When she stepped up to the podium, she dropped the index cards holding her carefully thought out words. She laughed the mistake off as she picked up the cards and explained to the crowd that it would take her much too long to sort the cards and continue with her planned speech. Instead, she would simply tell the students what she knew.
“We don’t quit playing because we grow old; we become old when we quit playing. Find laughter and humor in every day and have dreams. Grab hold of them, because without them, you can’t really live.
Never confuse growing up with growing older. There is a big difference. Anyone can grow older. What ability and talent does that take? Growing up means searching for opportunities to change so you don’t have any regrets.”
Rose lived her dream. She earned her degree and graduated from college. A week later, she died peacefully in her sleep, without any regrets.
This story should be your inspiration. Whether you have always dreamed of earning your degree, traveling the world, or learning a new language, now is the time to grab hold of these dreams and truly live.
What’s on Your Bucket List?
Like many seniors, especially those who receive help at home from skilled nursing care, you may feel as if their life is drawing to a close, and you can no longer fulfill your dreams or achieve your goals. This couldn’t be further from the truth, though.
You can do anything you want to do. Get Inspired and Start Living out Your Bucket List full of Dreams Today!
Start by creating a bucket list, or a list of everything you want to accomplish before you die. If writing or typing is difficult because of an illness or injury, have your private home care aide help you. Consider these questions as you create your list:
· Is there something you have always wanted to do, but never had the chance?
· Do you have a particular skill or gift you can offer to others?
· What activity or skill have you always imagined yourself learning?
· Is there a particular place you would love to travel?
· Is there a particular person you have always wanted to meet?
· What experiences do you feel like you have missed out on?
As your list grows, you may realize you have many goals that can easily be achieved. With help at home from your private home care aide, you may even be able to begin crossing items off that list today. For instance, if one of your goals is to finally try caviar, your aide may be able to pick some up at your local grocery store.
Tips for Achieving Your Bucket List Goals
While your bucket list may encompass a variety of goals, here are a few tips and online resources for some dreams seniors have so you can start living your dreams right now.
· Learn a Language- If you want to visit a community center or school for foreign language lessons, you may be able to easily find these resources in your local area. However, if you are home-bound and receiving help at home, an online language learning site like Learn a Language can help you learn almost any language quickly and for free.
· Travel- Have you always wanted to travel the world? Or maybe you just want to see London, Paris, or maybe even California. Start planning your trip online with the help of your private home care aide by checking current rates via Trend Tracker or Kayak. Read reviews on restaurants, hotels, and local activities for your chosen destination on Trip Advisor. If you dream of feeling the ocean breeze as you travel by cruise ship, check out the latest cruise reviews at Cruise Critics so you can more easily plan your trip.
· Earn Your Degree- Many seniors believe they are too old or frail to go back to college. Some may want to earn their degree, but may not be able to leave their home. With modern technology, though, graduating from college can easily be done over the internet. The Best Colleges provides a comprehensive list of the top accredited online schools, as well as information on how to choose the right school for you.
· Publish a Book- These days, writing a book is as simple as sitting down at the computer, taking the time to write down your thoughts on a subject, and visiting the Amazon Kindle website. Here you can publish your own e-book for the Kindle at no cost. There are no editors, publishers, or costly fees to concern yourself with. When your book sells, Amazon simply takes a percentage of the price in exchange for publishing it.
Age shouldn’t stop you from living your dreams. Whether you are receiving help at home from Sarasota health care or Venice senior care or not, you can do anything you want to do and live your life without regrets.
Feel free to contact us whenever you would like to learn more about exceptional in home nursing care services.